Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Teaching Creates All Other Professions" (Author Unknown)

Hola,

Today was my first day of teaching. I think it went pretty well. The people I was teaching were Level 1, which means they were beginner. Now, some of them were actually REALLY beginner (more like a Level 0), but they tried, and we went slow and reviewed alot. The material really spoke for itself during my portion. I got some good feedback from the teacher watching me, and the other student who was my peer evaluator. All in all, I think I'm going to be a a good English teacher (so long as I can get the grammar and verb tenses straight!)

After class, one of the girls and I decided to stick around to finish an assignment, and then go out and get some dinner. We ended up at the same place that the entire class had Tapas at on Monday. This is what we ordered:
Tortillas de Patatas (basically a pie of potato, onion, egg, tortilla and whatever the cook had on hand, all made into a pie/omelette sort of thing that came with bread on the side)

Bochetta de Carne (A hanging skewer of meat, essentially. It had some veggies skewered in there too, and it came with a couple of potatoes and a bowl of garlic mayonaise-y dipping sauce which was delicious!)

We stopped in some stores on our way to the Metro and I saw a cardigan that I would SO buy for my friend as a joke (because cardigans are the staple of her wardrobe- you know who you are) but 15 euros is a little much to spend on a joke I'd have to then mail home. The cardigan was a red with grey flowers on it. Very lovely, and the epitomy of all cardicans. Can't buy it for you though... Sorry!! 


Since we didn't get much time for exploring and "getting out" today, here are some pics that I couldn't post the other day...

This was my best attempt at taking a picture of myself beside a tree on the first day of school, without attracting attention from other passers-by. (Sorry it's a little blurry, mom)

Placa de Espana (I think, lol) We didn't get up close, because...

The building across from it used to be a bull-fighting stadium, and is now a beautiful mall!

It looks brand new, but it's actually really, really old, and perfectly circular (you could get lost for days in there ... well, maybe I could... and when I say lost, I mean shop.)

This is exactly what it looks like... Wine in a juice box... for 0,99 euro. (In the grocery store)

This is the walk from one beach to the next.. lovely boardwalk, with palm trees (Palm trees are not native here, they die every year and the tops are replaced!)

La Playa

Me... en la playa. (with a topless woman behind me.. I SO did not mean for that to happen!)

Me and some girls from my class whom I've decided to travel with!

TOES!

Classmates strolling the beach... gotta love it!


Apparently they are so into working out, that they have exercise machines on the beach for anyone to use!

Including me!

Walking the pier (we weren't supposed to be on it... but there were people fishing out there!)

... and this is a jelly fish that some guy caught. I'm pretty sure he was going to fry it up for dinner.

Estoy cansada. Hasta la manana!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Beth
    Thank you very much for the first day of school photo with the tree. Stay away from the jelly fish they sting (Friends) Keep up the excersing just like Barbados, especially if you are eating a lot of potatoe. The "feet" picture is for Jen - right! I really do enjoy reading your blogs each day - keep up the good work. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing!!! You look fab, and I love the elliptical machines on the beach!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete