Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Peanut Butter Deficiency

Oh. My. Gosh! As of yesterday, it had been a week and a half since I had had a lick of peanut butter! For those of you who know me, peanut butter is not only a staple of my diet, it is an obsession in my daily consumption. I'll eat it on toast, bread, crackers, with jam, with honey, with bananas, with chocolate, in desserts, for dessert and straight out of the jar! I decided to go on a quest to find some peanut butter.

...

The quest began very disappointingly. There is a short supply of peanut buttery options in beautiful Barcelona. I had seen one type in the grocery store near my school, but it didn't appear to be too appetizing, so I wanted to find out what else is out there. The store near my house was completely lacking in any sort of creamed nut, besides hazelnut (in the form of Nutella- of which I have already managed to polish off one jar, which I am now using for my change, and it has a picture of the tazmanian devil on it!).



Alas, where else to look?

Our school had given us a map of interesing and useful places near the school, so I referred to my map and found Colo Imports. Wonderful! Maybe they will have some delicious P.B. I took a few of the girls from my class with me on a venture to the store to find out if they had the ever-desired delicacy. The store has many pleasing items within its four walls, however, I found the selection of peanut butter somewhat limited there too. They did have a jar of Skippy peanut butter, but it was far more expensive than I find Skippy to be worth, and the size was more of a sample size for my peanut butter needs, so I decided to pass. Next to the under-sized sampling was a tub of Dutch peanut butter for 13 euros. Hmmm. 13 euros? Do I really want to spend that much to find out that it's no good?

I decided to pass for now and see what the grocery store brand tasted like. If it was passable, I would forget about the enormous quantity and buy peanut butter on a weekly basis, rather than an bi-weekly basis.



I must say that despite the fact that the jar has a rather large smile on it, the quality of the peanut butter in the not-big-enough container from the grocery store was also disappointing in taste. It is grainy and somewhat bitter. I can't put my finger on exactly what is wrong with it, but I can say, it is a far cry from Kraft Smooth Light Peanut Butter.

I was told later in the day by the Director of my school (TEFL International Barcelona), Lisa Girling, that the Dutch peanut butter is actually quite delicious. She has convinced me to at least try this peanut butter for 13 euros, however, I still have my doubts that it will compare to my homeland's delicious light brand.

Dear Friends and Family Who Plan on Visiting,

I will not charge you money for staying on my couch during your visit, but if you feel the need to offer a gift to me as a thank you and a gesture of your appreciation, please bring *peanut butter.

Sincerely,

Sad without my PB.

*by peanut butter, I mean Kraft Smooth Light Peanut Butter. (yes, light- I eat enough that eating light is necessary and more preferrable).

More specifically:

Dear Donia,

Please bring PB.

Dear Debbie,

Please bring PB.

Dear Patricia,

Please bring PB.

Dear Carrie,

For the love, PLEASE bring me some sustainance!! (ie. PB)

Muchas Gracias!

P.S. Yes, I did just write an entire blog on Peanut Butter. This doesn't even scratch the surface of my need for the creamy goodness. I'm pretty sure my blood is half peanut butter by this point. :)

CREMEUX!

7 comments:

  1. I've had peanut butter on my gluten-free toast every morning for the past week ... now I shall think of you when I eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not mention your peanut butter chip balls
    My poor little girl with no peanut butter how will you survive? Just read Xtina's post - she is rubbing it in. As I am sure most will. Must go to the store and purchase more peanut butter - might need to make peanut butter chip balls for Mackenzie.
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, no peanut butter makes for sad sad days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. My mom used to find me under the kitchen cupboard, door closed, with the jar of pb and a spoon.

    -Lorelei

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SO funny Lorelei!

    That is pretty much exactly how my sister found my two nieces the other day- two spoons, a cup of PB for the little one, and the jar for the big one, just sitting on thier little foam chairs, having a snack.

    Now all they need to do is find the chocolate chips to go with it and they'll be my little clones!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This reminds me of visiting a friend in England and bringing over two jugs of clamato juice and President's Choice White Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese. Peanut Butter! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete