Sunday, September 11, 2011

Muy Cansado!

Hola my familia y mi amigos.

Day two and I'm exhasted again! I start class tomorrow, so I want to go to bed early, but I wanted to post some pictures first. :) My day started at about 9:30 with a shower. The shower here is a little odd, and water is very expensive, so I turned it off in between doing everything. It was also the fastest shower I've ever had! LOL. After that, I had coffee with Jonathan and David (my flatmates) and then I ventured out to see if I could navigate the metro.

I would stay here, just to learn the metro, and then I'll email the city of Toronto and tell them how to fix theirs. I can't tell you how simple it is getting around in Spain. Every line is numbered and coloured and every station has huge maps of the city and stations. Every station also has line and connection infomation on the platforms, so it's very hard to get lost (unless you're blind I guess). There are washrooms and vending machines at most platforms too! Dear Toronto: shape up!!

I found my way to my school

I then took some time to walk around:



This is a building I saw with beautiful architecture and the sidewalk. Yes, even the sidewalks here are nice!

I got stopped on the street by a gentleman named Jamal. He wanted to buy me coffee. ... Okay. He spoke some English and taught me some Spanish. He gave me his number. I then found out how old he is. He looked about 32. He's actually 42. He thought I was 22. Something isn't adding up. WEIRDO!!! My flatmate told me later that Spanish men like younger women. No me gusta. (throughtout this conversation I thought of all of the ways to describe this event to different people. It may end up on my other blog as my first encouter with a chico en Espana... at least he was polite!)

After coffee with the stranger, I went back to my neighbourhood on the metro. I got off a stop early because I realized that I still hadn't eaten and it was 2 o'clock. I walked past Sagrada Familia again and found a park bench on Anivguda de Gaudi to eat a chocolate croissant I had bought earlier. (uno y trenta cinco euros). It was delicious. (I thought of my friend Shenela from work- you would looooove this bakery!)

The street of Anivguda de Gaudi- up the centre is where you can sit and eat at tables or on park benches.

When I got home, David was just starting a movie: Jamon, Jamon. (It means Ham, Ham.) It was Penelope Cruz's first film. ... ummm.. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. David says it's a typical Spanish film. There was alot of sex, alot of cheating, a pregnancy and a ham fight. Yes, that's right, they beat each other with ham. And yes, one guy dies as a result of this battle of ham. (I laughed hysterically, even though it wasn't meant to be funny!) Watch it when you need a good laugh. (English subtitles are provided, and it would be rated R for maturity, sex, and ham).

After the movie: siesta! I didn't sleep, but skyped instead. I'll sleep when I'm dead (tired).

At 5, David and I started walking to Parc Guell. We bought ice cream on the way and talked in broken English/Spanish. He asked me if I like boys: "You like boys?" "Yes." "Me too." LAUGH! I looove how adorable he is!

When we finally got to the park, this is what we saw:



Another famous site designed by Antonio Gaudi. I wish he could design my house! Esta muy bonita! David took my picture for me :)

We met up with a friend of David's at the park as well and took a long walk around. Uphill.
I'll add more pictures of the park tomorrow. (And my apartment). They are taking too long to load and I am very tired. School starts tomorrow!

Buenos noches.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see more pictures. Good luck with school tomorrow - We need a picture of you on your first day of school - you will need to find a tree - Jen will agree.
    love you
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post the pic I took when I can get it off my camera..

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so exciting, Beth! Beautiful Beth in Beautiful Barcelona! BTW I know I'm old enough for the "mature content" of that Penelope Cruz movie, but am I mature enough to watch ham death? Oh and David sounds adorable! I love boys who love boys.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, love your BLOG, feels like you are right here with us when I read it, can't wait ti read more...miss u ...and btw can't convince Tekin to die his hair blonde yet - lol

    ReplyDelete