Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Traditional Valencian Paella!

I actually started this blog two weeks ago and the pictures wouldn't load fast enough and this is the first I'm getting back to it, but I'm being VERY productive today (2 blog posts in one day!) and its only 8:42 am! Go me!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know its been WEEKS! That's what happens when I start working and start actually having a life again. Oh yes, and the weather has been so lovely that sitting inside typing is NOT an option! (In fact, later today, I am going to sit on the beach with some friends!)

A few weeks ago, my good friend Seattle invited me to learn how to make traditional Valencian Paella. (pronounced: /balenthian pie-aya/). Paella is a rice and seafood or meat dish, created in Valencia, made in a large, flat pan (one dish meal!) for two or more people. Once cooked, it is served entirely onto however many plates as there are people, and usually its a HUGE helping, and everyone digs in!


This is how it all went down:

Our wonderful instructor in the afternoon's cheffery. He is holding a plate of chicken and rabbit, which will be the meat of today's paella. We'll call him Valencia, since he's actually from there!

Assistant Seattle, cooking the meat in the large paella pan.

I was cutting up peas and Valencia decided that if pictures were going to be taken, I'd have to be in some! (Notice the turquoise pants- findin' my style continued!) 

Mataro measuring beans and Seattle, still making sure we're not going to get sick from under-cooked meat!

Once the meat is browned, add in the beans and the peas! (make sure the wash the peas first though, lets be sanitary.)

Tomate Frito. Just a couple of spoonfulls.

Spice it up!
Hot pepper, colourant, more colourant, rosemary.

Before the sauce and spices...

Valencia posing with the tomate frite.

After the spices, add some water... 

Starting to look really good... 

The boys of the day

The girls of the day (everyone lives together except me- I'm an honourary roommate)

Once its boiled a bit, add in the rice. This is a process. You can't just dump it in, you have to carefully spread it around. 
Let it simmer, and put some tin-foil over top to let it cook up a while. 

The finished product! Traditional Valencian Paella!

Massive heapings on every plate, and we all finished every bite! 

Thanks Valencia for teaching us how to make yummy paella! When are we doing this again? 

No comments:

Post a Comment